Take Lincoln Avenue off of Route 114 (County Road) to the end. Turn left onto Washington Road. The church is two blocks down on your left (on the corner of Washington and Bradford).
The History of Barrington United Methodist Church
It was way back in 1869 that a few Barrington residents who had been attending Methodist churches in Warren and East Providence decided to form a Methodist Society closer to home. The Society met for two years in Nayatt Hall, and in 1871 Presiding Elder M.J. Talbot organized them as a local church. The first "Pastor" was Rev. Richard Low, and there were four full members and seven probationary members.
The new Drowneville Methodist Church met in Drowne Hall from 1972 until 1875 when the "church house" (now Fellowship Hall) was constructed. At the end of that year, at the Watch Night Service conducted by the pastor, Rev. John Risley, a revival commenced with the conversion of fifteen souls. The following July, by the end of his tenure, he had baptised three infants and nine adults, received eighteen members on probation, eight full members on profession of faith, and five full members by certificate of transter.
In 1890, under the leadership of Rev. Frank Brooks, a second local church was organized in Riverside, a parsonage was built next to the Drowneville Church to serve both churches, and the Drowneville building was divided into two rooms to accomodate the increasing activities. By 1926 the church, now known as the West Barrington Methodist Church, had expanded beyond its walls, and the present sanctuary, chancel, and nave was constructed at a cost of $28,246.
Then came the great despression! Things reached their lowest point in 1931 and the church had to sell its parsonage to Edmond Horton to pay the upkeep of the church and large morgage. During this period student pastors from the Boston University School of Theology served the church, usually staying only one or two years.
Things looked up again when in 1944, Rev. Kenneth Page began a thirteen-year patronage. After five years of prayer and work, the mortage was burned in the presence of Bishop John Wesley Lord on February 17, 1950. Of course, success breeds success, so the church began a major renovation and expansion program! By the time Rev. Page left in 1957, a new kitchen had been added, the church painted, a slightly used pipe organ had been installed, and $3,667 had been raised and spent.
The church continued to outgrow the building, and in 1989 a second floor was added to provide room for the burgeoning Christian Education program. In 1999 it was decided that there was room on the property for a parsonage, and after many months of wrangling over wetland issues on the nation, state, and local levels, a new "Barrington Colonial" parsonage was completed.
This is, of course, only a very brief history of a very active church. It is really not so much a "history of the church" as it is a construction-log of the building. God has done great work here over the past one hundred and twenty-nine years, and to really appreciate the history of this congregation, one must come to listen to the stories of its members. One must come in to experience the presence of the Living God in this place.
Please come and witness it for yourself:
We love to talk about our church,
and we'd love to have you worship with us this Sunday!